CAPPELLA DI SAN LORENZO, DETTA DEL CONTE

Church
In 1328 the castellan Lorenzetto Bertrandi had a cemetery chapel built dedicated to his patron; he had it completely frescoed by a Franco - Piedmontese painter. The interior offers a fresco cycle, recently restored, of exciting theological depth. The area on which this ancient building stands was dedicated to worship and has therefore been sacred since 500-400 BC. This is demonstrated by the rocky engravings found south of the apse, where the Celts celebrated the sacrificial rites to propitiate the divinities. It was in 1328 that the castellan of St. Giorio, Lorenzetto Bertrandi, had a cemetery chapel built, dedicating it to his patron.
He had it completely frescoed both outside and inside by a French - Piedmontese painter. Outside, only a fragment remains on the south side, but the interior offers a recently-restored fresco cycle with a fascinating theological depth. The stories represented are a warning and a guide for every Christian (they were a sort of "Bible of the poor"), dealing with the themes of Salvation (Crucifixion), Redemption (legend of the three living and three dead) and of holy life (events of St. Lawrence). The pictorial manner shows the influence of Giotto (around 1300 the Maestro was active in Milan) so much so that the Crucifixion recalls that of the Scrovegni Chapel in Padua, and also has finishing touches obtained with the silver leaf, now disappeared, which embellished the armor of the soldiers and their helmets. The Chapel of St. Lawrence (called the “Count”) is part of the Diocesan Museum System of Susa.
Contacts
Via Castello, 10050 San Giorio di Susa (TO)

45.128911, 7.1809851

Tariffs
  • € 2,00
    Full price
  • € 1,00
    Reduced price
    carers of the disabled, Party of 10 min., Over 65, under 18 years
  • Free
    the disabled, Abbonamento Musei holders, Torino+Piemonte Card owners

From 01/07/2020 to 31/08/2020

  • Mon
    Open on reservation
  • Tue
    Open on reservation
  • Wed
    Open on reservation
  • Thu
    Open on reservation
  • Fri
    Open on reservation
  • Sat
    Open on reservation
  • Sun
    15:30 - 18:00

From 01/09/2020 to 30/06/2021

  • Mon
    Open on reservation
  • Tue
    Open on reservation
  • Wed
    Open on reservation
  • Thu
    Open on reservation
  • Fri
    Open on reservation
  • Sat
    Open on reservation
  • Sun
    Open on reservation
Cards and tourist objects