CHIESA DI SAN GIOVANNI BATTISTA - SALBERTRAND

Church
The first mention of the church is found in a diploma dated 1057, the year in which the ancient building was donated to Oulx’s prevostship by Oddone of Moriana Savoia and the Countess Adelaide.
The parish church was remodeled in the following centuries, undergoing almost total reconstruction during the 16th century. After this intervention it has not undergone any significant changes and is still one of the best and richest examples of late Gothic Alpine churches.
The parish church of Salbertrand has a very rich decorative system, both internal and external, and is also the only church in the Susa Valley to be equipped with a monumental prothyrum, built in 1536 by the stone-cutter of Melezet, Matheus Rode. The exterior features a beautiful depiction of the ride of the Vices and Virtues of the early sixteenth century, recently restored and once completed by the representation of the hellish punishments, now unfortunately it has disappeared. The lunette of the entrance portal is instead decorated with the representation of the Pietà. Inside, there are various frescoed cycles, dating from the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries, which embellish the walls and vaults of the side aisles.
The wooden furniture is also worthy notice, represented by the monumental retable of the high altar, the work of Jean Faure of Thures dating back to 1667, and the choir loft, of 1530-40. At an architectural level, some capitals of the choir and of the left nave are worth mentioning, dating back to the 12th century and probably reused at the time of the 16th century reconstruction. The church also houses, in the sacristy, a small museum which displays sacred vestments and furnishings from the parish church and chapels in the Salbertrand area.
The site is included in the route of the itinerary of the visti to the Columban Romean Ecomuseum.
Contacts
P.zza Martiri della Libertà, 10050 Salbertrand (TO)

45.0722803, 6.883639

Tariffs
  • € 5,00
    Full price
  • € 1,50
    Reduced price
  • Free
    Children under 6

From 25/06/2020 to 25/08/2020

  • Mon
    Closed
  • Tue
    Open on reservation
  • Wed
    Closed
  • Thu
    Open on reservation
  • Fri
    Closed
  • Sat
    Closed
  • Sun
    Closed

From 26/08/2020 to 30/06/2021

  • Mon
    Open on reservation
  • Tue
    Open on reservation
  • Wed
    Open on reservation
  • Thu
    Open on reservation
  • Fri
    Open on reservation
  • Sat
    Open on reservation
  • Sun
    Open on reservation