From the monastery complex, a mule-track crosses San Pietro and then, descending by wide curves, points on the Via Crucis, reaches Sant'Ambrogio di Torino whose medieval hamlet can be well seen in the intact city walls, in the sighting towers (13th century) and in the abbey Castle (12th century) which dominates the town. Of considerable artistic and architectural value is the Parish Church dedicated to San Giovanni Vincenzo who was the hermit who founded the Sacra: the internal layout, the dome and the facade are 18th century, built to a design by Vittone, while the bell-tower, possibly constructed on a previous building for military use, has the sober style of the original Romanesque. The path continues by crossing the main street of Sant'Ambrogio until reaching the Museum of the Nobel Dynamite Factory: an interesting example of early 20th century industrial architecture, from 1872 to 1965 it housed Europe's most important explosives factory. The residential area can also be reached from Chiusa San Michele following the Antica Via di Francia which goes around the base of Mount Pirchiriano: from here the Carlo Giorda via ferrata rises to the Sacra di San Michele.
Having passed the Dynamite factory, the road leads to the town centre of Avigliana. The medieval heart of the city is Piazza Conte Rosso, characterised by the ancient water well, the terracotta buildings with colonnades and dominated from above by Castle "arduinico" (10th century): the dowry of the Comitissa Adelaide di Susa to the Savoy, it became the first step in the ambitions of the dynasty on the Turin area, and was finally dismantled by the French in 1690.
The Parish Church of San Giovanni (13th century) holds precious works such as the 16th century wooden pulpit and the paintings by Defendente Ferrari. Close to the church it is also possible to see the Clock Tower: the first public clock in Piedmont was placed there in 1330. Among the religious buildings in Avigliana there is the 17th century Sanctuary of the Madonna dei Laghi, built over a shrine that had already been a destination for pilgrims from the 14th century; the Church of San Pietro (12th century) with the fascinating layering of frescoes dating from between the 11th and 15th centuries; the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore with a Romanesque format modified in a Gothic manner in the 14th century.
The path continues along the medieval alleys of the town centre, close to Palazzo del Beato Umberto, built after a legacy was left in 1347 and home to the old Hospital where pilgrims were welcomed who were travelling along the Via Francigena.