Frontier land, the crossing point for smugglers, pilgrims, armies. And then the salt route, the Via Francigena, the Chemin de la Ramasse, the Chemin des Marrons, the Fell railway, the Exile and the Glorious Return of Waldenses ... Along with these suggestions of possible routes, the living museum aims to address the more strictly ethnographic aspects connected to crafts of the mountain – producing dairy products, haymaking, bearers, guides – and folk traditions – festivals, legends, local customs. A further objective of this museum project is to create an observatory on contemporary art, able to interpret the characteristics of the territory, the spirit of the place, the evocations that a mountain environment can generate. Early actions focused on the former after-work premises, which is now home to the Documentation Centre for historical and ethnographic research, as well as hosting a multipurpose room and a refreshment bar. An exhibition on themes related to work is housed in the former mill, while the old communal oven, recently restored, shows the ancient techniques of baking. Lastly, at the entrance to the village has been located an open-air exhibition dedicated to the Fell Railway which, between 1866 and 1871, linked Susa with Saint-Michel de Maurienne, which makes reference to the permanent exhibition staged at the living museum. Finally, the complete recovery of the pasture located at Piana di San Nicolao, at the foot of the Moncenisio pass, allows the construction of a dairy laboratory.
Via Trento,9, 10050 Moncenisio (TO)