The territory of San Benigno lies between the Malone and Orco streams: predominantly flat, it also includes a small portion of the moraine hill known as Vauda. The history of the municipality is closely linked to that of the famous Abbey of Fruttuaria, founded in 1003 by Guglielmo da Volpiano.
The historical centre comprises the Ricetto and a wider area that draws a quadrilateral delimited by the chapels of the four main villages.
Of the mediaeval Ricetto (1400s), one of the three gates and one of the corner towers, as well as traces of other towers, remain. Parts of mullioned windows and terracotta decorations can still be seen on some façades.