CASTELLO E BORGO MEDIEVALE DI AVIGLIANA

Castle
The southern slopes of mount Pezzulano are dominated by the ruins of the Savoy castle, whose origins however date back to the period of Arduino il Glabrione, Marquis of Turin, who had the structure built after the defeat of the Saracens who plundered the Susa valley.
The Savoy heirs never enfeoffed the fortification, but is was reinforced as a residence in order to increase control over the territories towards Turin. The castle was abandoned as a residence after 1418 and remained as a fortified outpost at the valley’s entrance. It was destroyed several times by the French armies until general Catinat demolished it completely in 1691.
Today the elliptical layout of the walls, a few of the walkways with the watchtowers and some underground rooms with barrel-vaulted ceilings are all that remain. The ruins are en plein air and can be visited at any time. Guided visits, with fee, are available subject to prior booking.
Contacts
Piazza Conte Rosso, 7, 10051 Avigliana (TO)

45.0794, 7.39646

Opening hours

  • Mon
    Open
  • Tue
    Open
  • Wed
    Open
  • Thu
    Open
  • Fri
    Open
  • Sat
    Open
  • Sun
    Open
RISORSA A CIELO APERTO - SEMPRE FRUIBILE
POSSIBILITA' DI VISITE GUIDATE SU PRENOTAZIONE A PAGAMENTO
It is located in