Castellamonte is a town in the Canavese area, known for its production of handmade and artistic ceramics. The area lies on the hills and from the top of the hill, where the ruins of the Conti San Martino castle stand, there is a splendid view that embraces the mountains of the Orco and Soana valleys, the hills and the plain.
The medieval village of Castellamonte develops in a semicircle around the hill. Work on the construction of the parish church dates back to 1842, entrusted to the architect Alessandro Antonelli, famous for the Mole in Torino and the dome of S. Gaudenzio in Novara, with the task of designing a structure that was to cover an area slightly smaller than that of S. Pietro in Rome. All that remains of the initial project are the external walls made with stones from the Orco torrent alternating with red bricks, which, due to their circular shape, are known as the Antonelliana Rotunda and which every year form the evocative backdrop to the Ceramics Exhibition and other events. The parish church, dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul, was built in 1875 by the architect Formento, and in the main square stands the solitary 12th-century Romanesque bell tower, which was raised in Baroque style in 1762 to create a belfry. In the town centre, then, there are two noble palaces: that of the Counts of Castellamonte, dating back to the 16th century, characterised by arches and loggias, and the Counts Botton palace, entirely rebuilt in the 18th century and seat of the Municipality from 1854 to 1990. It currently houses the beautiful 'Raccolta Civica di Terra Rossa', a veritable museum of ceramics. The Palazzo dei Conti di Castellamonte, a rural building overlooking Piazza Marconi, was owned by the Counts Aimone di Castellamonte and sold to the Counts of San Martino Castelnuovo in 1611. It then became the property of the Counts Ricardi di Netro in 1950, following the extinction of the San Martino Castelnuovo branch, and the building was finally sold in 1978. From a historical-architectural point of view, the palace must be considered the best in Castellamonte.
It was at the end of the 18th century that red earth working developed in Castellamonte and the first 'Franklin' fireplaces were born. The best-known product is the stove, appreciated both for its functionality and design aesthetics, as well as for the historical suggestions with polychrome decorations that make each piece unique. All products are certified in accordance with the law. Castellamonte is a member of the Italian Ceramic Cities Association.